Recipe by Lisa (PoppyBerry)
Vegie & Pasta Main Dish
- 2-3 tbsp Oil for sauteing Peppers & Onions
- 3 each medium-sized Bell Peppers (any colour or mixed colours)
- 3 each medium-sized Red Onions (or any Onion you prefer)
- 6-8 each Cherry Tomatoes (or 10-12 each Grape Tomatoes)
- 24-oz jar Pasta Sauce (your preference)
- Salt & Pepper (optional--to taste)
- 10-12 oz Pasta Shapes (in the U.S., pasta shapes usually come in 12-oz/16-oz pkgs)
- Pesto Sauce (optional--to taste)
- Mozzarella Cubes (optional--to taste)
- Grated Parmesan (optional--to serve)
- Chop the peppers and onions into big chunks and fry in some oil until softish and a bit brown.
- Add the pasta sauce and simmer until everything is nice and soft.
- Add the tomatoes, and heat through.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta (by the package directions) to your liking.
- Drain the pasta and stir it into the sauce, being sure to coat everything well.
- Spoon a small amount of pesto into the sauce and stir, adding more if you prefer, until the sauce is to your taste. Salt and/or pepper may also be added, as well.
- If preferred, add some mozzarella cubes to either the whole recipe or to any part of it, and heat the mixture in the microwave or oven for 5 minutes or so.
- Either way, add some parmesan as preferred, and eat.
NOTE: As with any tomato dish, the flavor would be enhanced by a night in the fridge (though it can certainly be eaten immediately after cooking). It also freezes well, and makes great single-portion meals for a later date.