Grandma Anderson's Persimmon Cookies
(1) Mix these two ingredients together and set aside.
- 1 cup persimmon pulp (use HACHIYA persimmons--about 1 persimmon to 1 cup of pulp)
- 1 tsp baking soda
(2) Beat these two ingredients together well, in a large bowl.
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (melted)
(3) Add the persimmon pulp/baking soda mixture into the egg/butter mixture, in the large bowl, and beat well. Set this mixture aside.
(4) Mix the remaining ingredients together, making sure to get all of the nuts, raisins, and chocolate chips dredged fully with the sugar/flour/spices mixture.
- 1 cup chopped nuts (your choice, or use sunflower seeds, etc.)
- 1 cup raisins (any type)
- 1 large bag chocolate chips (any type)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (or use a low-calorie baking combo, or substitute 1/2-cup honey)
- 2 cups unbleached flour (or white whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
(5) Once the "goodies" are all combined well with the dry ingredients, dump them into the wet (first four) ingredients that have been already combined and set aside. Mix everything together very well.
(6) Refrigerate the entire mixture (at least two hours, or overnight) before baking the cookies.
(7) Drop cookie dough from a tsp, onto cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F, for 10-15 minutes. Do not overbake! Cookies should be slightly browned but still a bit tacky, when you remove them from the oven, and moist, but not mushy, when cooled.
(8) These are great, eaten just as they are, but if you like icing, make a quick powdered sugar glaze (powdered sugar with just enough water to mix in to make a very thick paste). Add about 1/2-tsp of glaze, dotted onto the center of each HOT cookie, and let it melt and run down (be sure you have the cookies on some foil or waxed paper when you do this). As the cookies cool, the glaze will harden on top. NOTE: If you do add the glaze, a small amount of calories, etc., will be added to each cookie. 😉
(using the ingredients as shown, with no powdered sugar glaze)
Amount Per Cookie*
…..Total Fat 2.5g
…..Saturated Fat 1.0g
…..Polyunsaturated Fat 0.8g
…..Monounsaturated Fat 0.5
Total Carbohydrate 6.1g
…..Dietary Fiber 0.3g
Vitamin A 1.9%
Vitamin C 0.3%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.